Perspective homeowners are selected based on the following:
- Demonstrate Need – The prospective homeowner(s) current living conditions must be
inadequate and/or the prospective homeowner(s) cannot qualify for a conventional loan.
- Ability to Pay – Prospective homeowner(s) must have a steady source of income
documented for the last 2 years that is sufficient to pay a monthly mortgage without it
being a burden on the household.
- Willingness to Partner – The prospective homeowner(s) must be willing to partner with
Habitat for Humanity of Craven County to complete all program requirements, which
includes performing “sweat equity” hours, attending workshops, and volunteering in the
- Be able to pass a criminal background check
- Applicant(s) must live or work in Craven County for at least one year
- Be a U.S citizen
- No foreclosure in the past 4 years
- Be a 1st time homebuyer (not owned a home in the last 3 years)
- No bankruptcy in the past 2 years